Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Post from our producer of Project Sno Fighter

Hero. It's a word that's been on my mind as of late. We are seeing heros on TV right now as Japan
struggles to stand tall once again. I've been hearing and using the word a lot recently as I work with
Veterans from WWII for a documentary film. It's also a word that I've been playing with in relation to
SnoFighters.
I find myself struck with a truth about the snow and ice management industry that people don't often
notice. The truth is that without snow contractors, life as we know it could come to a halt. Thanks to
Project SnoFighter I am in a unique position to listen closely to how dedicated contractors view
themselves and their work. I see passion and excitement but then I also find a seemingly patriotic
notion of duty. Each of the contractors I have encountered view their work as a public service. The
safety of their region both physically and economically is in their hands.
With the word HERO in the forefront of my thoughts I feel as if I'm left to the philosopher’s task of
evaluating its meaning. In its most common form we leave the word HERO to soldiers, fire fighters,
police officers, and doctors who are out there “saving lives” everyday. Yes, they get paid for their job
but their risk and sacrifices are high. They are indeed heros.
It seems to me however, that SnoFighters are quietly and without notice clearing the way for safety and
in many ways saving lives preventatively. Imagine if a lot went unplowed at an office complex or a big
box store where an employee goes into labor. There will be broadcast news spots all day gushing about
how the EMT's did a great job delivering the WalMart baby. The EMT's will be heros for the day. The
odds of anybody noticing the snowy lot are slim but if one did, the contractor would be vilified.
Conversely, if the snow contractor had the lot black and wet, it seems to me that he would just go
unnoticed. I find this a shame since the snow contractor's diligence and care equally contributed to the
positive outcome of our fictitious situation.
So, with my new enlightenment regarding heros and heroism, I say thank you to all of the diligent,
thoughtful public servants that are to all too many people merely the plow guys. Your hard work and
care may go unnoticed by many but to me, you are all heros. It is my sincere hope that Pro-Tech's
Project SnoFighter film will show the world the greatness of your industry.


Joshua C. Pies is an award winning filmmaker and Executive Producer at C47 Film Associates. He is
Producer and Director for Pro-Tech Manufacturing's Project SnoFighter which will premier at SIMA
2011 in Chicago, IL.

No comments:

Post a Comment